1/2 pound Premio Hot Italian Sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
2 cups 1/4 inch cubed potatoes
1/4 red bell pepper, diced into _ inch pieces
1/4 cup onion, diced _ inch pieces
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 can (4.5 ounces) green chiles (fresh chiles can be used according to taste and temperature of the chiles)
4-8 flour tortillas
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup salsa or sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make New Mexico Style Breakfast Burrito:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (F). In an oven proof skillet or pan, begin browning the Premio Hot Italian Sausage in the skillet on the stove. Add peppers, onions and potatoes. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
2. Add cilantro and green chiles. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Scramble the eggs until frothy. Add eggs to the skillet and fold in the eggs, making sure the eggs are evenly distributed.
4. Place in oven and bake until the eggs are set, about 6 to 10 minutes.
5. Warm a tortilla in a heavy skillet. Once warmed, spoon burrito filling into the middle of the tortilla; add some cheese and fold.
6. Once folded, wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm, until all the burritos are completed. The wrapping in the aluminum foil helps to meld all the flavors. Serve with sour cream or salsa.