1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Meat, browned
3 medium to large red potatoes
2 cups of water
1 medium white onion
4 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
Red pepper flakes (pinch to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
3 cups of milk or 1 cup half and half with 2 cups of milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Hearty Sausage and Potato Soup:
1. Peel and cube potatoes. Boil water in dutch oven or soup pot. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are very tender (they should come apart easily when poked with fork). Remove potatoes from liquid (save and set aside cooking liquid).
2. Peel and chop onion; melt butter in dutch oven. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add flour, pepper flakes and black peper to taste. Cook mixture thoroughly to remove flour taste.
3. Add potatoes, reserved cooking liquid, milk and sugar to the pot, stirring well. Once everything is well mixed, add the ground Premio Sausage and cheese; simmer for 30 minutes stirring frequently. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
SERVES: 6-8SERVES: 6-8