1 16-ounce package Premio Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
1 14.5- to 16-ounce can chicken or beef broth, any brand
11 to 12 ounces (about 3/4 cup) whole wheat couscous, uncooked
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed or store purchased
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
1 cucumber, sliced into thin “coins”
2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 small green scallions, diced
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled Print
How to make Greek Couscous Salad:
1. Remove casings from Premio Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, placing the sausage meat directly into a small mixing bowl. Discard casings.
2. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet. Heat olive oil on low-medium heat for one minute. Then add sausage, stirring regularly to break meat into small pieces. After five to seven minutes — or once sausage is evenly browned and reaches a minimum temperature of 165°F — remove the skillet from heat. Cover the cooked meat with a lid.
3. Add a can of chicken or beef broth to a medium-size pot. Bring it to a boil. Sift couscous slowly into boiling broth, using your hands to ensure even distribution. Turn off the heat.
4. Remove your pot from the hot burner and cover it with a lid. Let the couscous absorb the broth for five to seven minutes. Then transfer the cooked couscous to a large mixing bowl. Carefully stir the cooked sausage into the couscous, then set your mixture aside to cool.
5. Whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining spices and seasoning in a small mixing bowl. Set your mixture aside.
6. Toss the remaining produce together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in lemon juice dressing, olives and feta cheese. Add your couscous-sausage mixture and stir.
7. Refrigerate your couscous salad until it’s cold, or enjoy it warm immediately.