1/2 package Premio Hot Italian Sausage
2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 green bell peppers, cut into chunks
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, stems cut off
1 container pre-made, refrigerated pizza dough
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Premio Pizza Tornadoes:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F).
2. Cut the sausages lengthwise, then split into 1/2-inch slices. The pieces should be in the shape of crescent moons.
3. Thread the soaked skewers with the sausage, tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms.
4. On a large floured surface, roll out the pizza dough. Cut the dough into 1/2-inch strips, then wrap the strips around each skewer.
5. Brush the skewers with olive oil, then place on a non-flat baking sheet. Season the skewers with the basil, oregano, thyme and black pepper. You can also use additional spices if needed.
6. Bake the skewers for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the skewers from the oven and sprinkle each one with mozzarella. Bake an additional five minutes — or until the cheese is melted and the sausages are fully cooked. Serve.