1 package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 can pumpkin puree
22 oz. ricotta, fat-free
2 1/2 oz. pecorino romano cheese
1 large egg
1 tbsp. sage
1 cup basil
2 cloves garlic
1 jar tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Pumpkin-Ricotta Stuffed Shells With Crumbled Premio Sausage:
Do you love traditional Italian pasta dishes like stuffed shells but want to cut back on the calories? With our pumpkin-ricotta stuffed shells recipe, you can taste the best of both worlds. With creamy, flavorful pumpkin to reduce the cheese and fat content of the shells and sweet, flavorful sausage to fill you up, this dish is both tastier and more nutritious than any stuffed shells you’ve ever tried.
1. To begin, cook the Premio Sweet Italian Sausage with 1 tbsp. olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until brown, breaking up into small crumbles. When fully cooked, set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare your jumbo shells according to package directions. When al dente, drain, lay out on a baking sheet and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil. Set aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, blend pumpkin puree, ricotta, 3/4 cups pecorino cheese, egg, sage, basil, garlic and crumbled sausage meat until well-mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Stuff each shell with about 3 tablespoons of the cheese, pumpkin and meat mixture. In a large baking dish, spread tomato sauce and arrange stuffed shells in the sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for half an hour.
5. Remove baking dish from oven, peel back foil and sprinkle pumpkin ricotta shells and sauce with remaining pecorino cheese. Cover again, bake for 15 more minutes and serve hot.
Love our Sweet Italian Sausage? Try all Premio’s delicious sausage varieties today!
Search for our products in a store near you.