1/2 package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Meat
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup black olives
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 serrano chile, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1/2 tomato with the inside parts removed
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make 7 Layer Sausage Dip:
1. To make the guacamole, cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh and put it in a bowl. Using a fork, mash up the avocado — it should stay slightly chunky. Add the juice from the lime, the red onion, serrano chile, cilantro and tomato. Cover and keep in the refrigerator.
2. Cook the sausage meat in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until fully cooked and golden brown. Remove the sausage from the skillet and drain the excess fat. Set the cooked sausage aside and let it cool.
3. For the refried beans, cook the garlic over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in the pinto beans, cumin and chili powder. Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a potato masher or a large fork, mash the beans to your desired consistency. Season with salt and black pepper and fresh-squeezed juice from 1/2 a lime. Add the taco seasoning, stir, set the beans aside and let them cool.
4. Build the dip in a large serving bowl from the bottom up in this order: refried beans, sour cream, tomatoes, sausage, guacamole, black olives and cheeses. Serve with tortilla chips.