1 16-oz. package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
1/4 cup fresh mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
12 slices bacon, any flavor variety such as hickory, maple, peppered, etc. (any brand)
1 1/2 cups barbeque sauce, store-purchased or homemade
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Cheesy BBQ Sausage Bites:
1. Start up your grill and ensure it reaches medium-high heat.
2. With your hands, mix Premio Sweet Italian Sausage together with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
3. Divide the Premio Sweet Italian Sausage meat and cheese mixture into 12 pieces.
4. Roll each piece into a ball.
5. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each Premio Sweet Italian Sausage meat and cheese ball. Secure bacon to the sausage and cheese ball using a toothpick.
6. Put the cheesy BBQ sausage bites on the grill, cooking them until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F using a meat thermometer, and the bacon looks nicely browned and crisp.
7. Remove the BBQ sausage bites from the grill. Brush Premio Sweet Italian Sausage meat, cheese and bacon balls with 1 cup of barbeque sauce. Allow them to sit for about 3 minutes.
8. Serve barbeque sausage bites immediately with extra barbeque sauce for dipping.
Alternative cooking method for BBQ sausage bites featuring Premio Sweet Italian Sausage: Cheesy BBQ sausage bites can also be cooked in the oven at 350 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes. Simply put the sausage bites on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.