1 poblano pepper
1/2 cup cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin seed
3 garlic cloves
1 yellow onion, quartered
3 cups water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
Tamale masa made according to recipe on package
1 cup cooked, diced chorizo
1 cup grated queso fresco
4 cups water
10 corn husks
1/2 cup canned roasted jalapeno
1 cup green chili
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Chorizo and Queso Fresco Tamales:
1. In a sauce pot, brown Premio Sausage. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Strain and save liquid. Puree in blender and add cooking liquid for desired texture.
3. Add sausage back to pot and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
To make Tamales:
1. Soak corn husks for at least 2 hours (over night is ideal). Place corn husk on table and fill with 3-4 ounces of masa.
2. Place 1 tablespoon of chorizo, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 tablespoon of chili and 1/2 tablespoon of jalapeno in center of masa.
3. Roll husk over on itself to form tamale and fold ends under tamale. Steam tamales for 45 minutes. Serve queso fresco tamales smothered with chili and topped with cheese.