4 Premio Chorizo Sausage links, chopped
1 pound Fava beans
1/2 pound ham hocks
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
A few threads of saffron
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt to taste
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Fabada (Fava Bean and Chorizo Soup):
1. Soak the white beans in water overnight. Drain, rinse thoroughly and drain again.
2. Heat oil in large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the Premio Chorizo and Premio Kielbasa sausages and ham hock; sear meat on all sides. Place meat in a large stew pot over medium heat.
3. In pan with meat drippings, saute the onion, carrot, garlic, paprika and saffron for 5-7 minutes, over medium heat, adding additional oil if necessary. Add to stew pot, along with chopped parsley and bay leaf.
4. Add beans to stew pot. Add chicken broth and extra water if necessary to cover all the beans and meat. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
5. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender (make sure the beans are always covered with liquid, adding water if necessary).Take several beans, mash them up, return them to the pot and cook uncovered for several minutes.
SERVES: 5-7SERVES: 5-7