2 pounds Premio Hot Italian Sausage
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
2 red bell peppers, stemmed, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
2 green bell peppers, stemmed, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Grilled Italian Sausage with Sweet & Sour Peppers and Onions:
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until simmering. Add onions and peppers, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned in spots, approximately 8 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar; remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Light one chimney full of charcoal. Once lit, cover with gray ash, pour out and arrange coals on one side of charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover, and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
3. Transfer pepper mixture to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan. Construct a tray out of double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil, 10-inches square, with sides about 2-inches high; nestle sausage into pepper mixture.
4 Place tray on hot side of grill and grill until simmering, about 4 minutes. Slide to cooler side of grill.
5. Cover grill with vents over sausages; cook with all vents open until sausages register 140-145 degrees, about 20 minutes, turning once in the middle. Remove sausages from peppers and place directly on cooking grates over hot side of grill; grill, turning occasionally, until well browned and crisp, about 3 minutes total. Return to pepper mixture.
6. Toast buns over hot side of grill, if desired. Serve sausages with buns and sweet & sour peppers.
SERVES: 6SERVES: 6