2 packages Premio Premio’s Sweet Italian Sausage or Premio Hot Italian Sausage 2 medium zucchini (about 10 ounces), halved lengthwise
4 plum tomatoes, halved
1 large onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into fourths
1 orange bell pepper, cut into fourths
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into fourths
1 medium eggplant (about 8 ounces), quartered lengthwise
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 Semolina rolls (or bread of your choice)
Small, fresh basil leaves, for serving
Balsamic vinegar, as needed
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Grilled Sausage and Vegetables Sandwich:
1. Heat grill to medium-high. Brush the cut sides of the zucchini, squash, tomatoes and eggplant with the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Poach and then grill Premio Sausages, covered, turning occasionally and brushing with 1 tablespoon vinegar, until cooked through, about 12 to 14 minutes.
3. Grill the vegetables until just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes per side (1 minute for the tomatoes). Transfer to cutting board.
4. Cut the grilled vegetables into 1 1/2-inch pieces; place in a large bowl. Toss with the vinegar to coat and 1/4 teaspoon each salt & pepper.
5. Fold in the basil, if desired. Cut sausages in half and layer into semolina rolls or bread of your choice with the grilled vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE).
SERVES: 4-8SERVES: 4-8