1/2 package Premio Premio’s Sweet Italian Sausage
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for the grill
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
8 1/2-inch slices of sourdough bread or baguette
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 ounces mozzarella cheese balls
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Grilled Sausage & Avocado Caprese Crostini:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Preheat the grill and put a little bit of olive oil on the surface.
2. Combine the olive oil, chipotle powder and chili powder in a bowl. Whisk until well-combined. Brush onto the avocado halves.
3. Grill the avocado about five minutes. Remove from the grill, cut into thin slices and set aside.
4. Cook the sausages over indirect heat with the lid closed for 15 to 20 minutes. When the sausages are fully cooked, remove them from the grill. Cut them lengthwise and then cut them into 1/4-inch pieces. Set the sausage aside.
5. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake the slices of bread until they become crispy.
6. Combine the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and one tablespoon olive oil in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced by half. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
7. Season each slice of bread with basil. Add slices of avocado, sausages, tomatoes and mozzarella, seasoning the inside of the sandwich with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Place the crostini back into the oven and bake for another three to five minutes.
9. Remove the crostini from the oven and top with any additional basil. Drizzle each slice with the balsamic vinegar mixture and serve.