1 package Premio Hot Italian Sausage
2 large green bell peppers, diced
2 large red bell peppers, diced
1/2 large red onion, diced or cut into wedges
Sweet ‘n Sour Poppy Seed Sauce:
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (up to 1 cup if you prefer more sweet than sour)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice or pineapple orange juice
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce, regular or low-sodium
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Grilled Stuffed Pineapple with Sausage, Peppers, Red Onion and Sweet n Sour Poppy Seed Sauce:
1. In a small saucepan, on grill, combine dark brown sugar and cornstarch; stir in juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Over medium heat, heat mixture until boiling, thickened, dark and somewhat clear (not cloudy), stirring constantly. Remove from heat once it begins boiling; stir in poppy seeds, cover and set aside.
2. Cut up veggies and thread onto skewers. Place on medium-hot grill, alongside sausages, and grill until both sausage and veggies are done, with lid closed, turning every now and again
3. Cut pineapples in half, through the stem; slice the cores across at the top and bottom within a ½-inch from outside. Remove insides by running a knife around the edges; scrape out remaining pineapple with spoon.
4. Slice sausages at an angle, toss with pineapple chunks & grilled veggies and pile into pineapple halves. Spoon sweet ‘n sour sauce over each and place onto foil-covered grill. Close lid and grill at medium heat (350 degrees (F)) for 15 minutes, or until sizzling and heated through. Remove and serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe was submitted through our 2013 Recipe Contest by Kelly at Wildflours Cottage Kitchen.
Looking for the perfect fresh meal for your family or friends? Grilled Pineapple is a timeless classic, and this twist adds sausage, peppers, red onion and more to create a delicious mix that is sure to impress. Use Premio sausage products for best results. Get the full recipe for free and try it at home today!SERVES: 4-6