16 ounces Premio Sweet Luganiga Sausage, casings removed
2 large acorn squash, split in half, lengthwise, with seeds removed
1/2 cup diced, sweet onion
2 granny smith apples, cored and diced
2 cups seasoned croutons, crushed
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Harvest Luganiga Sausage and Acorn Squash Bake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Place the acorn squash, cut sides down, in a baking dish coated with cooking spray or oil. Bake the squash for 30 minutes (squash will not be completely cooked through). Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. In a 12-inch skillet, brown the Premio Sausage, breaking it up with a spatula until the pink is gone. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Remove from heat, and stir in the apples and crushed croutons.
3. Mound the mixture in the baked squash halves, and return them to the baking dish (stuffing side up). Bake for 20 minutes, then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese over each squash half; bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cool slightly before serving.
SERVES: 4 (Main dish) or 8 (Appetizer)SERVES: 4 (Main dish) or 8 (Appetizer)