2 pounds Premio Premio’s Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic,crushed
1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes
6 cups beef broth
1 cup dried lentils, sorted and cleaned
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Italian Sausage & Lentil Soup:
1. In large stockpot, place 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat gently. Add the Premio Sausage; brown and stir till in crumbles. Remove from pan and drain on towels.
2. In the same pot, add carrots, celery and onions; saute gently for 3 minutes. Add garlic and then gently crush the canned tomatoes in one at a time. Add the juice from tomatoes and then either the water or broth. Add in pepper and dried Italian herbs.
3. Add sausage back in and simmer for 30 minutes, until carrots are a bit tender. Add Lentils and cook for additional 20 minutes (be sure to stir well ocassionally).
4. Before serving, add 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese and mix in. Taste soup before adding salt to it. Top with remaining parmesan cheese.
SERVES: 4-6SERVES: 4-6