1 package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large carrot, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, quartered
1 (15 ounces) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock
1 cup Israeli couscous
1 head fresh broccoli, florets only
5-7 pieces sundried tomatoes soaked in water, julienned
Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
Salt & pepper, to taste
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Italian Sausage Ragu over Pearl Couscous:
1. Place a large sauté pan on stove and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan (do not turn on heat). Make small individual bite-size sausage meatballs by squeezing Premio Sausage out of casing and placing in pan. Once all sausages are in pan, turn heat to medium and cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan, leaving oil in pan.
2. Add carrots, onion and mushrooms to pan; sauté until mushrooms have given off their water. Season with salt and pepper, and add garlic; sauté for 1 additional minute.
3. Add tomatoes and chicken broth/stock to pan. Add sausage balls with juices and let cook until carrots are cooked through and sauce has cooked for about 30 minutes.
4. Prepare couscous according to package instructions. Take broccoli florets and steam until cooked but still pretty firm, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Place large sauté pan on stove and add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan; heat on medium until pan is hot but not smoking. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, careful not to burn. Add drained sundried tomatoes and broccoli; sauté, adding more olive oil as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Plate by placing prepared couscous in middle of dish and make a well in the center. Place sautéed broccoli around perimeter and then ladle sausage ragu in the well of the couscous. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese all around and enjoy!
SERVES: 5-7SERVES: 5-7