1 16-oz. package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage, removed from casings
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced into rings
1 cup fresh whole or low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup pizza sauce (any brand)
2 tbsp. pitted black olives, sliced
4 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped finely
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Mini Pineapple Sausage Pizzas:
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Add Premio Sweet Italian Sausage to the grill and cook for five to seven minutes, or until sausages reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees (F).
3. Remove sausages from the grill and set aside. When cool, cut into slices of desired thickness.
4. Place an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Preheat the oven broiler to high setting.
5. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
6. Preheat an unused non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Place fresh, cored pineapple slices on cutting board or cutting surface. Pat with paper towels to remove excess liquid if needed. Brush 1 tbsp. of olive oil on the sides of the pineapple. Place oil-coated pineapple slices in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side. Move cooked pineapple slices to the prepared baking sheet.
8. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onion to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes until the onion softens. Stir the onion continuously while cooking. Remove the skillet from heat.
9. Top pineapple rounds with 2 tsp. of fresh mozzarella cheese. Place about 2-3 tbsp. of cooked Premio Sweet Italian Sausage slices onto the cheese. Add 1 tbsp. pizza sauce and 1 more tbsp. fresh mozzarella cheese to each pineapple round. Finish topping pineapple slices by evenly distributing onions and black olives.
10. Broil the mini pineapple pizzas for 2-3 minutes on high. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil. Serve this mini pineapple pizza recipe immediately for best flavor and texture.