4 Premio Sausage (choose your favorite)
1 small red onion, skin removed and quartered
3 large tomatillos, papery husk removed and quartered
3 Poblano chilies
1 large jalapeño chili
3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped (preferably a mix of colors)
2 ripe avocados, diced
4 cups cubed corn bread (either stale or toasted on the grill)
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice (about 5-6 limes and zest from 3 of the limes)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Ole Panzanella Salad:
1. Preheat grill to 450 degrees (F). In a medium bowl, mix the lime juice, olive oil, salt, chili powder, garlic, cumin and black pepper.
2. Brush the corn, onion and tomatillo quarters lightly with oil mixture and grill, turning frequently, until nicely charred (about 8 minutes for onion and tomatillos; 10-12 minutes for corn). Once cooled, cut kernels from corn and dice onion and tomatillos; place in large bowl.
3. Place peppers on grill grate and roast until skin is blistered and black, turning 3-4 times to ensure all sides get roasted, about 5 minutes per side. Place roasted peppers in a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Put on latex gloves and peel the blistered skin from pepper; discard stems, seed, and dice, and add to bowl with corn, onion, and tomatillos. Add tomatoes, avocados, corn bread and cilantro to bowl, and toss lightly; add remaining vinaigrette to bowl and toss lightly again, making sure everything is coated nicely and set aside.
5. Place sausages on grill and grill until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, turning often. Cut into bite-sized pieces and add to vegetable mixture, tossing lightly to combine. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, as needed. Serve at room temperature.
SERVES: 5-7SERVES: 5-7