1 16-oz. package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage
2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough (about 16 crescent rolls total)
1 tube white or gray cookie or cake icing (with nib to push out frosting)
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Premio Football Sausage Rolls:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove Premio sweet Italian sausage links from package. Place sausage links on regular plate. Cover with plastic wrap. Place plate with sausage links in freezer for about 30-40 minutes to firm up meat. Be sure sausage meat does not entirely freeze.
3. Remove plate with chilled Premio sweet Italian sausage links from freezer. Remove plastic wrap and discard.
4. Using very sharp knife, slice sausage links in half lengthwise while keeping the casings on. Then, cut sausage links into 16 evenly sized bite-sized pieces. If desired, cut the sausage links lengthwise again for skinnier sausage meat pieces.
5. Place cooking oil into large skillet. Heat oil for 1 minute at medium setting. Add 16 bite-sized pieces of sausage into pan and cook about 6 minutes until they are brown on the outside. Remove skillet from heat.
6. Remove sausage pieces from pan and drain excess liquid by laying the pieces on a clean paper towel that has been placed on a plate.
7. Open the tubes of refrigerated crescent dough and unroll all the crescent pieces.
8. One by one, lay one piece of sausage toward the large triangle end of each crescent dough section. Then, wrap the crescent from the wide end to the triangle tip, wrapping the dough completely around the sausage. Place finished sausage crescents on nonstick baking sheet.
9. Bake game day sausage rolls 20 minutes until dough is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
10. Decorate football sausage rolls with icing to look like football “laces” on the top of each crescent roll. Serve at once.