1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1/2 pound chicken livers, finely chopped (optional)
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup chicken stock
2 eggs + 2 tablespoons water, beaten
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
Flour, as needed
Few branches of thyme
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Premio Sausage and Rice Stuffing Balls:
1. Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the Premio Sausage and cook until crisp. Add the onions and garlic; saute until lightly colored, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken livers and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
2. Add the rice and thyme to the pan; stir well and saute until rice begins to sizzle. Deglaze with chicken stock and cook until dry. Transfer to shallow pan and refrigerate until completely cooled.
3. Season the cooled rice and scoop into tablespoon-sized balls. Roll each in flour, dip in egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Refrigerate a minimum of 20 minutes.
4. Heat a pot of oil to 350 degrees (F) and fry sausage balls until golden brown.
Recipe Courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE).
SERVES: 4-6SERVES: 4-6