1 (16 ounce) package Premio Sausage (choose your favorite)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 cups packaged broccoli slaw mix
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup butterscotch-caramel ice cream topping
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt (to taste)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Flaky sea salt
Metal skewers or bamboo skewers
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Salted Caramel Sausage-Pineapple Skewers with Warm Broccoli-Rice Slaw:
1. Drain pineapple chunks, reserving juice separately.
2. Cut Premio Sausage crosswise into approximately 1-inch pieces. Place 1/4 cup of reserved pineapple juice into a bowl and combine with soy sauce. Add the sausage pieces, tossing to coat and let stand for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Gently stir 1/4 cup of reserved pineapple juice and broccoli slaw into hot rice, blending well. Season with salt and pepper; cover and let sit while preparing skewers.
4. Whisk caramel topping with remaining pineapple juice and mustard, blending well; set aside.
5. Preheat outdoor grill to medium-heat. Thread drained sausage pieces, pineapple chunks, and green onions onto 8 metal (or soaked bamboo) skewers, dividing equally; place on grill. Grill for 5 minutes, then brush with caramel mixture, repeating until the sausage has browned (internal temperature should read 165 degrees (F)), approximately 15-18 minutes total, turning as needed for even browning.
6. Divide warm rice mixture, evenly, among 4 serving plates. Place 2 skewers over each plate. Sprinkle skewers lightly with flaky sea salt and serve while warm (Note: If bamboo skewers are used, soak in water for about 30 minutes to prevent scorching).