4 links of Premio Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
8 large cabbage leaves, blanched until soft and then dried
2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
3 tablespoons bottled or homemade Caesar salad dressing
8 toothpicks, soaked in water for 1/2 hour
3 tablespoons olive oil
Heated pasta sauce for garnish, if desired
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage and Cabbage Purses:
1. Grill Premio Sausage according to package directions. Remove and cut in half, crosswise.
2. Place cabbage leaves on work surface and spread out flat. Gently toss rice and salad dressing, with a fork, in a small mixing bowl. Spread 1/4 cup rice mix in center of each cabbage leaf and top with a sausage half.
3. Tuck cabbage sides over top and roll to make a neat envelope effect; secure each with a toothpick. Preheat grill to medium heat (350 degrees (F)). Baste rolls with olive oil; place on grill and sear tops, bottoms and sides for 1 minute each (total of 4 minutes) or until lightly charred. Reduce heat to medium-low (300 degrees (F)) and cook for an additional 15 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking time.
4. Remove toothpicks and serve hot. Heated pasta sauce may be offered to top cooked rolls if desired.