2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 16-oz. package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage, removed from casings
4 tbsp. garlic, minced
4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. sea salt (Himalayan or any other variety)
1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 15-16 oz. can tomato sauce (any brand)
2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
4 tsp. light brown sugar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
8 hot dog buns, white or wheat
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 medium red or yellow onion, chopped finely
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage Chili Sandwich:
1. Place extra virgin olive oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
2. Add ground beef or pork to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes. Break apart during cooking using a heavy-duty spoon or spatula. Continue cooking until the meat is brown and no pink remains.
3. Add minced garlic, chili powder, sea salt and ground black pepper to cooked beef or pork. Cook for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
4. Add tomato sauce, spicy brown mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce to the cooked mixture. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 5-8 minutes until tomato sauce is reduced by about a third. Remove the ground meat chili from heat and allow to sit.
5. Preheat grill to medium setting.
6. Grill the Premio Sweet Italian Sausage for about 5-7 minutes or until reaching a minimum internal temperature of 160° F. Remove sausages from grill or place in a cooler spot on the grill.
7. Grill the inside of the hot dog buns for 1-2 minutes until buns are brown.
8. Place grilled hot dog buns on plates and put one sausage inside each grilled hot dog bun. Top the sausages with ground meat chili. Finish off each sausage chili sandwich with a sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese and finely chopped onion pieces.
9. Serve this chili sandwich recipe immediately with pickles or potato chips.