1 pound Premio Hot Italian Sausage
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup seeded, chopped plum tomatoes
1 pound escarole, washed and coarsley chopped
2 1(6 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 ounces of freshly grated parmesan
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage con Fagioli e Escarole:
1. In a saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion, and saute until soft and starting to color, about 7-10 minutes. Add the diced plum tomato and chopped escarole; saute for another 5-7 minutes until the tomato softens and the escarole is wilted.
2. Stir in the two cans of cannellini beans, the chicken broth, tomato paste, red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 10-12 minutes over low heat until thickend slightly. Stir in the fresh basil.
3. While the bean mixture is cooking, coat the Premio Hot Italian Sausage with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Place on a broiler pan and broil about 4 inches from the heat, on high, until browned and cooked through, turning several times while broiling (this should take about 15 – 20 minutes). Once sausages are done, place bean mixture in large platter with sides. Arrange cooked Italian Sausage over beans; drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
SERVES: 6SERVES: 6