1 (16 ounce) package Premio Mild Italian Sausage, casings removed and cooked
3 boxes frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup butter, melted
16 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage Spanikopita:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Ring spinach dry in a cheese cloth, clean towel or with several paper towels.
2. In a large bowl, combine feta cheese, eggs, cooked Premio Sausage, and spinach.
3. Brush the bottom of a 17×11-inch pan with butter. Place 1 sheet of dough in the bottom of the pan; brush with butter. Continue to layer 13 more sheets of dough, brushing every other sheet with butter.
4. Spread sausage, spinach and cheese mixture over dough. Continue layering with remaining dough, brushing every other sheet with butter. Tuck edges of dough under. Brush top sheet with butter and, using a sharp knife, score top layer 4 times to vent (make sure it goes through until it hits the sausage mixture.
5. Place into preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove, let cool and serve warm.
SERVES: 3-5SERVES: 3-5