3 Premio Sausage (choose your favorite) links, cooked and chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 cup canned tomatoes and green chilies
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup rice, cooked
1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
1 cup pepper-jack cheese
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup butter, melted
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Southwest Sausage Pockets:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Place Premio Sausage, onion and peppers onto grill. Grill sausage according to package instructions and grill onion & peppers until tender.
2. In a frying pan over medium-heat, add olive oil, smoked paprika, tomatoes & green chilies and red pepper flakes. Add rice, corn and black beans; continue to cook to heat, until hot. Remove from heat; add cheese and cilantro.
3. Unroll phyllo, place on smooth surface (countertop or parchment paper) and cut in half. Remove single sheet and brush with butter. Remove another sheet of phyllo, brush with butter and place on top of 1st sheet, crisscrossing sheets. Brush top sheet with butter and repeat until you have 6 layers.
4. Gently press phyllo into 6-count large muffin pans and fill cup with sausage mixture and rice mixture. Fold outer edges of phyllo over mixture, brushing with butter as you layer. Top phyllo cup with butter and repeat for remaining pockets.
5. Place into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Allow pockets to cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from pan; serve and enjoy.