1 1/2 pounds Premio Hot Italian Sausage, sliced
2 1/2 cups onion, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup mixed sweet red, yellow and orange bell pepper, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can sliiced stewed tomatoes
1 cup canned beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
3 cup chopped kale, leaves only
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Spicy Sausage and Turtle Bean Stew:
1. Heat a heavy non-stick pan. Place Premio Sausage into pan and brown; drain and remove sausage pieces. Discard drippings.
2. Add olive oil and onions to the pan. Sprinkle sugar over sliced onions in pan and cook onions until they begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic, celery, peppers and chiles, and saute for several minutes longer.
3. Add sausage back to pan along with tomatoes, beef broth, black beans, kale, salt, cumin and oregano. Bring mixture to a simmer and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until thickened.
4. In a small bowl, mix together sour cream and lime juice. Serve stew in bowls garnished with shredded cheese, a dollop of lime-sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.