1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
3 tablespoons very cold water
1 pound Premio Breakfast Sausage
1 pound apples (2-3 medium apples)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple cider or apple juice (or substitute 1/4 cup boiled cider & 3/4 cup water)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
12 ounces cream
Freshly-whipped cream (optional)
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sweet Sausage Pumpkin Pie:
1. Stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add water and mix with a fork until the dough pulls together.
2. Transfer the dough to a work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk (although many dough recipes call for chilling the dough at this point, this dough should be rolled out immediately for best results).
3. Lightly flour the work surface, then flatten the disk with 6-8 gentle taps of the rolling pin. Lift the dough and give it a quarter turn. Lightly dust the top of the dough or the rolling pin with flour as neeed, then roll out into a round at least 12-inches in diameter and about 1/8-inch thick.
1. In a pan, cook Premio Sausage until nice and brown, according to package directions. Transfer cooked sausage to paper towels to cool, leaving the fats/oils in the pan.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples into small chunks, to total about 2-3 cups of apples. Transfer apples to the pan in which you cooked the sausage; add salt, apple cider/juice and brown sugar. Cook sliced apples for 5-10 minutes or until apples are tender and liquid is syrup-like.
3. Add sausage back to pan and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Line pie crust with cooked sausage/apple mixture (if it’s not the consistency of ground meat, chop it up more so you don’t have large clumps of sausage); Pour off any additional liquids that might be leftover.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in a small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture; gradually stir in cream.
2. Pour into the pie crust dough, on top of sausages & apples. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
3. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees (F) and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with cream and freshly-whipped cream (optional).
SERVES: 4-8SERVES: 4-8