1/2 pound Premio Sweet Luganiga Sausage
1 bulb fennel, halved and diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced or chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon olive oil
6-7 cups fresh, mixed salad greens
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon honey
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Caramelized Pancetta and Fennel Salad with Sausage:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium skillet, lightly sauté sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally and breaking into crumbles. Remove from heat when meat is slightly browned with a little pink remaining. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine fennel, pancetta, brown sugar, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Add lightly browned sausage and toss together until mixed and coated, then place mixture on the baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes until the fennel appears caramelized and the pancetta and sausage are crisp. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. In a blender, mix vinegar with lime juice, honey, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Once well-mixed, set your vinaigrette aside.
5. Place the salad greens in a large bowl and combine with caramelized fennel and crisp sausage crumbles. Crumble the caramelized pancetta slices into the salad, then toss to combine. Top with blended vinaigrette dressing and enjoy a well-seasoned, satisfying light meal!