1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
5 cups spinach
2 cups arugula
4 figs, thinly sliced
1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Chicken Sausage, Mushroom & Fig Salad:
1. Preheat your grill. Once the grill is heated up, cook the sausages over indirect heat for about 15 to 20 minutes with the grill’s lid closed until they are fully cooked.
2. If you’d like the sausages to be more browned, cook them over direct heat for one to two minutes. Make sure you keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Flip them over and cook for another one to two minutes or until both sides are browned how you want them.
3. In a skillet, add the mushrooms and red onion. Season with the dried parsley and garlic, then sauté until tender. Add the walnuts and sauté for another three to five minutes. Set aside.
4. In a bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients until well combined.
5. In a large serving bowl, toss the spinach, arugula and figs. Add the grilled sausage. Cover with the mushrooms, onions and walnuts. Top with goat cheese and drizzle on the dressing, or serve it on the side. You can also build individual salads in four separate bowls. Serve.