1 pound Premio Chorizo Sausage, casings removed
1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
1 pound top round roast
1 medium vidalia onion, finely chopped
2 (10 ounce) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes with chilies
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups of red, yellow and green peppers,diced
2-3 dried chipotle chilis (re-hydrated) in 1 cup boiling water (save cup of chipotle water to make the instant coffee. If the dried chipotles are too difficult to find, use a small can of chipotle chilis in Adobo sauce and skip the re-hydrating step)
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup coffee made from instant coffee granules
12 ounces beer
4 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, coarsely ground
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Chipotle Chorizo Chili:
1. Boil 1 cup of water to re-hydrate the chipotle peppers (allow the peppers to stand in water for at least 5 minutes).
2. Grind sausages individually in food processor for approximately 10 pulses for each 1 pound of meat. Brown sausage meat in large dutch oven on medium high heat. Drain off fat when the meat is no longer pink. Add onion and cook for five minutes.
3. While onion is softening, take the chipotle chilis out of the water and place on a plate (make sure to pick up with tongs or gloved hands, because they can be hot to the skin). DO NOT CUT. Pour out half of the water into the dutch oven. The other 1/2 cup of water will be used to make coffee, allow coffee to steep for at least 2 minutes. (Re-heat in microwave if not hot enough).
4. Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, peppers, chipotle chili’s, chili powder, cumin, garlic cloves, cinnamon coffee & beer to pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for 1 hour on a low simmer, adjusting the chili powder and cumin to your taste.
5. After 1 hour, turn off heat and remove cover. Remove chipotle chilis and discard.
6. Add chopped chocolate and stir to make sure it is melted and evenly distributed.
SERVES: 4-8SERVES: 4-8