1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Meat, formed into 1″ meatballs
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
1 onion, peeled, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup tomato sauce
3 tomatoes, seeded, chopped
2 medium boiling potatoes, chopped
1 cup small pasta (such as shells)
Half head of kale, chopped
1 15-ounce can cannellini (or other small white beans), drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Italian Meatball Soup:
1. In a skillet, brown sausage-meatballs on all sides; drain and set aside.
2. In a stockpot, heat oil and butter; add carrots, onion, celery and garlic and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add meatballs, stock and tomato sauce; bring to a boil, then turn heat down to simmer.
3. Add tomatoes and potatoes; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return to a boil, and add pasta and kale; cook for 10 minutes, until pasta is tender.
4. Add beans, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 10 more minutes, until done.