14 ounces Premio Italian Chicken Sausage with Cheese & Garlic, cut into quarters
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, washed
1/2 head broccoli rabe, roughly chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, or to taste
1 cup flat Italian parsley, leaves only
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Olive oil, salt & pepper
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Premio Cheese & Garlic Chicken Sausage with Penne:
1. Boil water for pasta and to blanch broccoli rabe.
2. In a saute pan, brown Premio Sausage well. Remove from heat and reserve.
3. Meanwhile, cook 3/4 pound penne pasta in plenty of salted water. Remove pasta from water, making sure to reserve pasta water. Add chopped broccoli rabe into the pasta water; cook for a few minutes to blanch.
4. In the same pan that you browned the sausage in, toss tomatoes with olive oil to coat; add salt and pepper. Brown over very high heat until skin blisters. Reduce heat and add garlic; cook gently until garlic is soft. Add pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste; mix well and cook for 5 minutes over high heat to dry. Add broth and simmer until grape tomatoes are soft and broth is reduced by 1/2.
5. Toss together the sausage and their juices, tomatoes and broth, and broccoli rabe. Add pasta. Add parsley leaves; check seasoning and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with warm.