2 14-ounce cans hearts of palm, drained
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 cups cherries, pitted and halved
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup goat cheese
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Premio Sausage & Hearts of Palm Gratin with Arugula & Cherry Salad:
1. Preheat the grill. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F).
2. Once the grill is heated up, cook the sausages. Keep them over indirect heat for about 15 minutes with the lid closed. Once the sausages are finished, remove them from the heat. Cut them lengthwise then into 1/2-inch pieces. The pieces should look like crescent moons.
3. Heat three tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the hearts of palm, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté until the hearts of palm are golden brown, about three minutes. Arrange the hearts of palm in the bottom of a gratin dish.
4. Melt three tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add the garlic and flour and increase the heat to medium-high and cook for two minutes, not letting the mixture brown. Whisk in the milk and heavy cream. Cook until the mixture comes to a soft boil, stirring continuously.
5. Cook the sauce until it has thickened, about three minutes. Add the lemon juice, green onions and remaining salt and black pepper. Stir in the sausage, then pour the mixture over the hearts of palm.
6. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Remove it from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs. Then, cover the gratin evenly with the breadcrumbs.
7. Bake the heart of palm for 20 minutes — or until it’s golden brown and bubbly.
8. While the gratin is baking, prepare the salad. Toss all the ingredients in a large bowl, then top with your choice of dressing.