1 package Premio Sweeet & Hot Italian Sausage Combo Pack
1 cup canned red enchilada sauce
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 seeded, diced jalapeno
1 clove garlic, minced
11 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
10-oz. can tomatoes with green chilies
2 1/2 cups peeled, diced butternut squash
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup water
8 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
2 tbsp. chopped scallions to garnish
Sour cream to serve (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage and Butternut Squash Enchiladas:
Love Mexican food? Then you’ll go crazy over this tasty, tangy twist on a classic enchilada, complete with creamy butternut squash and sweet, spicy sausage. Time to prepare your taste buds!
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute your sausage links in 1 tsp olive oil until firm and beginning to brown. Break up into smaller pieces and continue to cook until thoroughly browned. Add another tsp olive oil, onions, jalapeno and garlic and cook for two to three minutes until tender and fragrant, then add in black beans, tomatoes, butternut squash, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and water. Stir together, season with salt and pepper and cover. Cook on low heat, occasionally stirring, for about half an hour until squash becomes tender and flavors mix.
3. Lay out your flour tortillas, place about 1/3 cup of vegetable and meat filling in the center of each, roll them up and set them in the prepared baking dish, seam-side down. Top your rolled enchiladas with the rest of the enchilada sauce and sprinkle with Mexican cheese.
4. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, for about 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and enchiladas are hot. If desired, top with sour cream and scallions. Serves four to eight.
If you love the taste of our delicious Sweet & Hot Italian Sausage in this recipe, try all our tasty varieties.
Search for Premio sausage in a store near you.