2-3 links Premio Premio’s Sweet Italian Sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped Portobello mushrooms
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
8 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage & Mushroom Penne Gratin:
1. Start by boiling the penne pasta. When draining the water, save ½ cup of the pasta water for cooking. Move pasta to a baking dish and preheat the broiler.
2. As pasta is being cooked, place sausage links in a nonstick skillet to brown with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Once the sausage is done browning, maneuver it to a separate plate and cut into rounds. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan with the remaining 1 tbsp. of olive oil and cook on high heat until golden.
3. Add the sausage back to the skillet along with cream and the pasta water. Add a dash of salt and pepper and boil on high heat until the mixture has thickened.
4. Pour the thickened sauce over the pasta noodles and stir in the fresh Parmesan and half of the shredded mozzarella.
5. Spread the noodles evenly in a baking dish and garnish with the remaining mozzarella. Broil until golden brown or approximately 5 minutes.