1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage
1 package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1/2 cup mozzerella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Egg wash (one egg; 2 tablespoons water)
Fresh parmesan cheese, for garnish
Fresh basil, for garnish
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage Pinwheels:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook Premio Sausage, chopping with wooden spoon into small pieces as it cooks. Drain on paper towels.
2. Lay pastry sheets out on floured surface, one at a time. Use rolling pin to flatten and smooth pastry – roll once across and once up and down. Spread half of pasta sauce on each pastry sheet, then sprinkle half of sausage and cheese on each sheet. Starting at bottom of pastry sheet, roll very slowly and tightly to make a pastry log. Use egg wash to seal edge.
3. Cut into 1/4-inch slices and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each pinwheel with a little egg wash.
4. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and garnish with shaved parmesan and fresh basil. Serve warm.
SERVES: 4-5SERVES: 4-5