1 pound Premio Hot Italian Sausage or Premio Mild Italian Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces 1 bunch adult spinach, cleaned and de-stemmed
8-10 ounces Portebello mushrooms, diced
1 (8 ounce) package ricotta cheese
Spices, Herbs and Oils:
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Enough vegetable oil to fill about 2-inches in large skillet pan.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Sausage Stuffed Sizzle Spinach:
1. Cut Premio Sausage into small 1/4-inch pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large, heavy skillet. Saute Premio Sausage pieces while adding basil, salt, pepper and garlic. Once sasauge is no longer pink, remove from heat and cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add ricotta cheese, diced mushrooms and cooled sausage-sautee mixture; mix throughly.
3. Mix batter ingredients in a large bowl. Heat vegetable oil (2 inches) in deep fryer or skillet set to 375 degrees (F).
4. Fold cleaned spinach leaves around 1/2 to 1 tablespoon stuffing mixture, depending on size of leaves. First, dip into flour and then dip into batter with a fork, allowing any extra batter to drip into bowl. Set aside 5-8 at a time to fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain and allow to cool before serving and enjoying.
SERVES: 4-6SERVES: 4-6