1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Meat
4 (6 inch) zucchini
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped red onion
4 tomatoes, cored, seeded, roughly chopped
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt-free Italian seasoning
2 large basil leaves, shredded
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon black olive tapenade
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Zucchini a la Puttanesca:
1. Grease a 12″x7″ glass baking pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Trim ends from zucchini, halve them lengthwise and remove seeds so that you are left with zucchini “boats.”
2. Place the zucchini skin-down into the baking pan and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
3. In a large skillet, cook Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Meat until browned thoroughly; drain and set aside.
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and red onion; saute until onions are translucent, stirring often. Add tomatoes and olives; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil, parsley and red pepper flakes; cook for 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in tapenade and vinegar; return sausage to pan, and mix in well.
6. Pour sausage mixture over zucchini, covering zucchini as best you can. Sprinkle cheese over all and bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender when tested with a knife.
SERVES: 4 (Lunch) or 6-8 (Side dish)SERVES: 4 (Lunch) or 6-8 (Side dish)