1 package Premio Mild Italian Sausage
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon red chili flakes, dried
1/2 cup butternut squash
5 cups chicken stock
2 diced onions
1 1/2 cups risotto rice
10 ounces cottage cheese
1/2 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Chianti
2 sprigs thyme (optional)
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Easy Squash & Sausage Risotto:
1. Add sliced sausage rounds, red pepper chili flakes, fennel seeds and olive oil into a large pan and cook until sausages are brown.
2. Peel and chop the onions while also deseeding and chopping the butternut squash. Add the veggies to the pan and cook for another 20 minutes with a lid. Squash should be caramelized.
3. Add chicken stock to another pan and allow it to simmer while you add the Chianti to the pan with the veggies. Allow the Chianti to soak up all of the ingredients in the pan before stirring in the risotto.
4. Slowly add the chicken stock to the risotto mix, making sure all of the liquid is being absorbed. It’s best to go ladle by ladle. Let the risotto cook for about 20 minutes until the risotto becomes slightly oozy.
5. Add in the cottage cheese and stir to even out ingredients. To serve, garnish with Parmesan and fresh thyme sprigs!