1 kilogram of minced Premio Hot Italian Sausage Meat
3 finely-minced garlic cloves
2 tablespoons all-natural tomato paste
1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs (packaged also works)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup of your preferred Middle Eastern spices
3 teaspoons fennel seeds
3 farm-fresh eggs
4-5 sheets puff pastry
- Always cook pork sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Always cook chicken sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F using a meat thermometer.
How to make Middle Eastern Sausage Rolls:
1. In a large bowl, stir in shallots, minced garlic, Premio Sausage, tomato paste, fresh breadcrumbs, cilantro, your spice blend, 1 tsp. of fennel seeds and 2 eggs. Mix ingredients well and cover the bowl to refrigerate for 3 hours. Refrigeration time allows flavors to fully develop.
2. Place baking paper on oven trays and preheat your oven to 200° C (395° F).
3. Next, use a whisk to beat the remaining egg and add sausage mixture to a large piping bag. Take out your thawed puff pastry and cut it in half. Brush one of the long edges with the egg mixture and pipe the sausage mixture on the other long edge. Roll the pastry tightly, starting with the sausage end, and press lightly to enclose the rolls. Repeat this step until all of the sausage mixture and pastry is used up!
4. Carefully score your rolled pastry at 1/2 cm intervals and brush on any remaining beaten egg mixture to the top of the rolls. Then, cut each roll into four pieces and conservatively sprinkle with fennel seeds.
5. Place the sausage rolls on an oven tray with the seam facing down and bake for approximately 25 minutes. You want the pastry to be golden and flakey. Serve hot!