New Year’s Resolution Dinners
Every year, the end of the holidays marks the time for New Year’s resolutions. Even if a full-blown detox isn’t on your list of resolutions, these four healthy sausage recipes will make eating clean effortless and fun. From 10-minute dishes to adventurous slow cooker chicken sausage meals with cabbage and apples, we have the recipes to help you stick to those “better you” criteria.
Healthy Sausage Recipes
Let us help you kick-start your 2020 New Year’s resolutions with these recipes to put you on the path to success!
1. Kale, Sausage and Spaghetti Squash Boats
To prepare these delicious boats, you’ll need:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 1/2 pounds Premio Italian Chicken Sausage, casings removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make kale, sausage and spaghetti squash boats:
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Microwave the squash for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Next, slice the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Position the halves with the cut sides up on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle squash halves with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until squash is soft. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare the kale by cutting up the leaves and removing the center stems.
- Combine onion, garlic and olive oil in a skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken sausage to the pan and crumble to small pieces. Cook for about 12 minutes, continually stirring until the sausage is browned. Always cook sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Add kale to the mixture and stir. Cook for a few more minutes and remove from heat.
- Scrape the insides of the squash into small shreds before transferring them to the skillet. Mix all ingredients together and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide the contents of the skillet to all the squash shells. Top with parsley and serve.
2. Sausage-Spinach Rice Bowl
To prepare this simple, 10-minute, one-dish meal, you’ll need:
- 1 8.8-ounce pouch of precooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces Premio Mild Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 6-ounce bag of spinach
How to make sausage-spinach rice bowls:
- Heat the rice and follow the directions on the back of the packet.
- Coat skillet with oil and add sausage and pepper.
- Cook mixture until sausage is browned and crumbled. Cook sausage to a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Add garlic and spinach, cooking the mixture until the greens are wilted, stirring constantly.
- Stir in rice and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
3. 20-Minute Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
To prepare sheet pan sausage and veggies, you’ll need:
- 14 ounces Premio Chicken Sausage
- 2 cups sweet potato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
How to make 20-minute sheet pan sausage and veggies:
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice all veggies into small cubes and slice the sausage into 1-inch rounds. Sweet potatoes should be cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Combine all ingredients on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to toss the veggies until they are fully coated with spices and olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Make sure sausage has a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Serve as is or with rice for the perfect New Year’s resolution meal!
4. Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage With Cabbage and Apples
To prepare this tasty apple and sausage meal, you’ll need:
- 1 medium green cabbage, cut into 16 wedges
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-ounce package Premio Italian Chicken Sausage with Pesto, cut into 20 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
How to make slow cooker chicken sausage with cabbage and apples:
- Fill a 6-quart slow cooker with apples, cabbage, salt, paprika, pepper and 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, then cover.
- Cook on high for about 6 hours or until all vegetables are tender.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Put chicken sausage in oil and cook until browned. Ensure sausage has a minimum internal temperature of 160° F using a meat thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add 3 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Return to heat and cook for about 30 more seconds.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Drizzle stock mixture over vegetables in slow cooker. Then, cover and cook on high for about 1 hour. Wait until the mixture is cooled to serve.
Stick to Your New Year’s Resolutions With Premio Foods
The new year provides a perfect opportunity to eat the way you’ve always wanted to — and that doesn’t mean you have to limit yourself to shakes and salad. Delicious recipes with Premio Foods sausage will put flavor first to help you stay on track and reach your goals. For food ideas beyond dinner recipes, check out all our recipe categories.
For more than 40 years, Premio Foods, Inc. has continued a family tradition by passionately making more than 40 varieties of sausage, including classic and ethnic varieties like beer bratwurst and chorizo, as well as traditional Italian favorites. We want to help you achieve your New Year’s resolutions, and that’s why we offer chicken sausage with 60% less fat than USDA data for pork and beef sausage.