The Secrets to a Scrumptious Stuffing
Every foodie knows you can’t have Thanksgiving without the stuffing. A favorite of many, stuffing is the ideal culmination of all things Thanksgiving. With the perfect combination of crunch and moisture, heartiness and comfort, this Turkey Day staple isn’t going anywhere.
In this blog post, we’re going to share some basics of achieving that perfect stuffing dish along with some pro tips on how to make the most out of your Premio Sweet Italian Sausage.
The Basics of Great Sausage Stuffing
Most stuffing recipes contain four fundamental components:
- Meat (in most cases, sausage)
Spices and additional ingredients vary recipe by recipe, but these four main ingredients are the basis for creating a savory stuffing. You can make stuffing in a pan in the oven or let it cook inside the turkey (hence the name “stuffing”) while it bakes.
Whether your bread is whole wheat, white wheat or a combination, it’s incredibly important to make sure it’s completely dry before adding it to your stuffing mix. This is where you stuffing will get most of its crunch, and no one likes soupy stuffing!
Make sure your vegetables, which are typically onions and celery, are fresh and crisp as well since they’re used to add both texture and flavor to your dish.
For a delicious example of these ingredients coming together, check out two different sausage stuffing recipes below.
Recipe: Thanksgiving Stuffing From Scratch
- 1 pound Premio Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 corn cobs, boiled or grilled
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and brown Premio sausage in a skillet. Drain and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery to the skillet and cook in butter until tender, then set them aside.
- Combine bread crumbs and corn, removed from the cobs, in a large bowl and add the sausage, the other vegetables, cranberries, pine nuts and seasoning.
- Drizzle about 1 cup of broth onto the mixture and carefully toss.
- Put stuffing into a 2-quart casserole dish/pan and bake for 30-45 minutes.
Recipe: Quick and Easy Stuffing
- 1 package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Meat
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced or chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) package stuffing mix
- 2 cups chicken broth or hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and add sausage, celery and onion to a large skillet. Cook until the vegetables are tender, and the meat is browned.
- Add the stuffing mix and pour in the liquid until the desired consistency is reached.
- Combine the mixture thoroughly and pour it into a casserole dish. Bake until the top of the stuffing is visibly crusted.
A great stuffing’s place at the Thanksgiving table is well-earned. Its countless varieties make it one of the most enjoyable Thanksgiving recipes to create with family and friends. Discover more ways to include Premio sausage into your meals and find a distributor near you!