Incorporating Sweet Italian Sausage Into Your Dinners
Are you looking for a way to give your dinners a kick of flavor the whole family will love? Consider adding sweet Italian sausage from Premio to your favorite meals. Learn more about what makes sweet Italian sausage so delicious and check out some of our favorite recipes!
What Is Sweet Italian Sausage?
Italian specialty sausage is typically pork sausage with a blend of spices and herbs, like fennel seed and anise. Packed with tons of seasoning, Italian sausage comes in a variety of flavors, including hot and sweet. Sweet Italian sausage is the milder, less spicy version.
Italian Sausage vs. Sweet Italian Sausage
Italian sausage has a stronger flavor than other types of sausages, like bratwurst or breakfast sausages. While hot Italian sausage has more of a kick, sweet Italian sausage is perfect for a milder palate.
At Premio, we offer several kinds of sweet Italian sausage, including veggie-filled options and cheese and basil specialty meats.
What to Make With Sweet Italian Sausage
The possibilities are endless when you’re looking for the best sweet Italian sausage recipes. You can substitute any other kind of sausage with this milder flavor, depending on your preferences.
Italian sausage is perfect for soups, stews, pizza, pasta and more.
Premio Sweet Italian Sausage Recipes
Do you want more ideas for making delicious dinners with our fresh Italian sausage? Check out our favorite recipes from Premio.
1. Premio’s Apple-Sausage Rings
These apple and sausage rings combine sweet and savory for a kid-friendly treat the whole family will love.
Follow these steps:
- Cook our Premio sausage in a skillet according to the package directions, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Combine the sausage, flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Whisk the yogurt and egg until well combined, then add it to the sausage-flour mix and stir well.
- Slice the Granny Smith apples, cutting rings out of the middle of the slices with a knife or small round cookie cutter.
- Heat a large skillet with the oil to approximately 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Dip your apple slices in the batter, then place them in the skillet in batches. Cook them for one to two minutes or until they’re golden brown, turning them halfway through to cook each side evenly.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl and sprinkle the sweet mixture over your apple rings while they’re hot.
2. Three-Cheese Italian Sausage Alfredo Bake
Our three-cheese sausage alfredo bake is an easy and delicious casserole you can make on a night in:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large casserole dish with aluminum foil or prepare it with cooking spray.
- Remove the casings from your Premio sausage, peeling them away from the sausage meat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Stir in the sausage when it reaches low-medium heat, cooking for five to seven minutes until the meat is evenly browned. Drain any excess fat and place the skillet on an unheated burner.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, bring it to a boil and add the pasta. Follow the cooking instructions to achieve your desired tenderness. Drain the pasta before returning it to the original pot.
- Add your cooked sausage to the pasta, tossing to mix evenly. Add the Alfredo sauce, ricotta, sour cream and Parmesan cheese and mix carefully.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients into the pot with a wooden spoon, including the eggs, garlic and parsley. Pour the mix into the casserole dish, covering the casserole with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the dish for 35 minutes and ensure the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Sausage Meatball Sandwiches
What’s better than spaghetti and meatballs? Our sausage meatball sandwiches!
- Divide your Premio sausage into 12 sections, rolling them with your hands into 12 small meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over low-medium heat for two minutes.
- Increasing the heat to medium-high, cook your sausage meatballs for 10-12 minutes or until they’re brown. Remove the meatballs and lower the heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, olive oil, pepper and sea salt to the skillet, cooking for approximately eight minutes to brown the onion. Add the tomatoes into the skillet, crushing as your stir for another eight minutes.
- Add your Premio meatballs to the tomato sauce, cooking everything for another 18 minutes. Make sure each meatball is coated in the sauce, then remove from heat.
- Blend basil, garlic and olive oil in a blender or food processor, then divide the spread into four equal parts and spread it inside each roll.
- Preheat your broiler to high and line a baking sheet with foil, placing the sandwich rolls on the baking sheet spread-side up.
- Broil the Italian rolls for two minutes.
- Divide the meatballs evenly, adding three to each sandwich roll. Cover each sandwich with sauce and mozzarella cheese, then return them to the broiler for three to four minutes.
4. Sausage, Peppers and Onions Sheet Pan
This sheet pan recipe is easy to prepare and even easier to clean up for a no-stress dinner:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray cooking spray on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread your Italian sausages on the baking sheet and add the peppers and onions around the sausages.
- Cover the ingredients on the baking sheet with olive oil, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Turn over the sausages and vegetables halfway through the cooking time to ensure an even bake.
- Remove from the oven when the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables carmelize.
5. Sausage-Stuffed Pepperoni Bread
This tasty recipe is perfect for a fun appetizer or snack:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add butter and diced onion to a heated skillet and sauté until the onions are translucent, then set aside.
- Remove your Premio Sweet Italian Sausages from their casings and brown them over medium heat in a skillet for 10 minutes, until no pink remains. Break up the sausage and drain with a strainer.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with the pizza dough. Mix your sausage and onion, then spread it over the pizza dough.
- Add pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top of the sausage mix evenly, leaving about an inch around the sides. Add onion powder and ground pepper for taste.
- Begin rolling the dough at one long end, keeping the roll as compact as you can. Pinch the ends to seal the dough. Once you’ve rolled the dough, place it seam-side down on the baking sheet.
- Beat an egg with a bit of water to create an egg wash, then brush the wash onto the bread.
- Bake the stuffed bread for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown with the egg wash. Let your bread sit for a few minutes after removing it from the oven, then slice it into pieces and serve.
Purchase Premio From a Store Near You
To enjoy these flavor-packed recipes, order online or find our Premio Sweet Italian Sausage at a store near you with our store locator today!