Spicing Up Your Salad
During the summer months, more of us add salads into our diet so we can enjoy healthier outdoor lifestyles while keeping waistlines trim. However, after a week of healthy greens, you may find yourself quickly bored by the meal. Opt to venture outside of the typical mix of iceberg lettuce, few cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, slices of onions and drizzle of store-bought dressing. Jazz up your summer salads with fresh and surprising ingredients to bring a bit of sweet and savory texture to your salad.
Dazzle Your Taste Buds With These Healthy Salad Enhancers
The same basic salad configuration can leave your taste buds bored and tempted to sink their teeth into a juicy burger patty. To fight the urge of food temptation and maintain your healthy summer diet, see your bed of lettuce as a blank canvas meant for adding fun and fresh new flavors or colors. To make your salads interesting again, add some of these toppings into the mix:
- Bits of Fruit: Summertime is ripe with a variety of sweet fruit options that can make your salad sweet and bright — try grapes, berries, oranges and pears.
- Marinated Proteins: Grilling a plain chicken breast and considering the job done won’t cut it — marinate your favorite protein like chicken, beef or tofu in a flavorful marinade to spice up your salad.
- Roasted Vegetables: Get your grill out and roast some of your favorite vegetables like sweet potatoes, onion, cauliflower or zucchini to add a bit of texture and diverse flavor.
- Crunchy Nuts and Grains: Sprinkling walnuts, almonds, pine nuts or pistachios adds a fun crunch to your salad. Alternatively, you could incorporate healthy grains like brown rice, barley or quinoa to the mix.
- Dressing Variety: Don’t settle for the bland staple salad dressings in your grocery store. Experiment with new flavors like tahini, nut butters, herbs, spices and yogurt to elevate your dressing options.
Spicing Up Your Salads With Sausage
You may think sausage is a main meal event or the zesty counterpart to a bowl of pasta or soup — but have you considered adding it to a salad while keeping the health factor? With a bit of creativity and an open mind, sausage can enhance your salad by adding a bit of savory flavor and spice. To muster up a go-to summer meal, consider these easy healthy sausage recipes:
- Premio Sausage and Chickpea Salad: By adding quality hot Italian sausage to a simple mixture of salad greens, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, onion and Parmesan cheese, you can easily transport your taste buds to Northern Italy.
- Premio Sausage and Asparagus Salad: A blend of mixed greens, asparagus, tomatoes, almonds and feta may seem a bit dull on a weekday evening, but a package of sweet Italian sausage adds a new diverse flavor that elevates your healthy summer meal.
Ensure all sausage cooks to a minimum of 160 degrees F.
Enjoy Healthy Flavor With Premio Sausage Products
When you need a simple and affordable way to revamp your healthy summer salads, turn to Premio Foods’ selection of sausages. We offer over 40 varieties of Italian sausages to suit your unique tastes. As a family owned and operated company, we’re dedicated to creating only the best sausage products made from premium ingredients to promote a happy and healthy lifestyle. Explore our variety of Italian sausages today to see how you can spice up your next salad recipe.