The Surprising History of Mother’s Day
How and why did Mother’s Day start? Learn a brief history of this holiday and why we celebrate it today. Additionally, if you’re searching for some creative Mother’s Day recipe ideas, you’re in luck! With these delicious breakfasts and brunches paired with some lovely presentation ideas, you’ll create an unforgettable Mother’s Day meal.
Why Did Mother’s Day Start?
Mother’s Day became a recognized holiday back in the early 1900s, due to the efforts of social activist Anna Jarvis. After her mother’s passing in 1905, she wanted to honor her memory and the sacrifices mothers around the world make for their children each day.
Today, many parts of the world continue to celebrate Mother’s Day each year, typically during the months of March and May. In fact, more phone calls are made on this holiday than on any other day of the year!
Spoiling Our Mothers on Mother’s Day
This holiday is a beautiful reminder of the strong influence mothers have on society. That’s why we strive to celebrate our moms in the most thoughtful ways possible, whether it’s by taking her to her favorite restaurant, surprising her with her favorite flowers or gifting her a new pair of earrings.
For the perfect way to celebrate your mom this Mother’s Day, consider making her a delicious breakfast or brunch with a picturesque presentation! In the next couple of sections, we’ll provide some great breakfast and brunch ideas to pamper your mom to the fullest this Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day Breakfast Recipe Ideas
In this section, we’ll start by covering handy tips for arranging the perfect breakfast in bed, then discuss some delicious Mother’s Day recipe ideas you can make. Best of all, you don’t need to be a master chef to whip up these tasty breakfasts!
How to Make the Perfect Breakfast in Bed
If you plan to serve your mom breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day, you’ll want to create a picture-perfect presentation in addition to delicious food. Before we dive into the breakfast recipes, below are some tips for making the perfect breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day!
- Start with a beverage: Begin your Mother’s Day breakfast by serving her a fresh, steamy mug of coffee or tea. Include her favorite mix-ins on the side, such as cream, milk, sugar or honey. Bring her a good book or newspaper to read, then put on some relaxing background music as she sips her hot beverage while you prepare the food.
- Prevent spilling: To help prevent spills on the bedspread, serve her breakfast on a tray with high edges to secure the dishes of food. You can also provide an elegant cloth napkin that helps catch spills and adds to the presentation.
- Practice new recipes beforehand: If your heart is set on a new recipe you’d like to try out, practice making it at least once before the big day so you’re fully prepared. A simple, well-executed dish is better than an elaborate but poorly-prepared recipe.
- Add small details: Place her favorite flower on the tray, add some lace doilies or incorporate other small yet elegant details to take your breakfast presentation to the next level. A beautiful tray arrangement can make the food look and taste even better!
- Remember to clean up afterward: Leaving a kitchen full of dirty dishes for your mom to clean up can put a damper on the experience. Let her continue to relax in bed while you clean the kitchen. Doing this as you cook will save you the hassle of washing a mountain of dishes after breakfast.
1. Breakfast Nachos
While simply cooking some sausage and eggs is one option, why not add a fun twist? After crunching into these tasty breakfast nachos loaded with crisp veggies, tender sausage and fresh eggs, you’ll likely want to keep making them even after Mother’s Day is over. Grab some tortilla chips, savory pork sausage, plenty of vegetables and cheddar cheese, then whip up this quick and easy recipe for your mom.
2. “The Works” Breakfast Burrito
A classic breakfast burrito is always a great way to kick off the day — “The Works” Breakfast Burrito is even better. A perfect savory combination of fluffy scrambled eggs, delicious pork sausage, sliced potatoes and melted Monterey jack cheese, this delicious breakfast won’t disappoint. Add a dollop of sour cream to your burritos for an even more delicious flavor.
Mother’s Day Brunch Ideas
Next, here are some spectacular brunch ideas for the two of you to celebrate Mother’s Day in style.
How to Host an Amazing Weekend Brunch
Before we dive into our brunch recipes, below are some tips for hosting the perfect weekend brunch this Mother’s Day.
- Plan your menu: Carefully plan out your Mother’s Day brunch menu in advance to determine what you’ll be serving — perhaps an entree, a side dish, a dessert and some beverage choices.
- Stock the refrigerator: After planning your menu, write down a list of things you’ll need. Then, stock the fridge with all of the necessary ingredients so you’ll be ready to make your meal on the big day.
- Set up the night before: To save time and energy, create your table setting the night before so you can focus on cooking the next day. Include other small details to enhance the presentation, such as a floral centerpiece and fancy placemats.
1. Mini Sausage Lasagna Rolls
If your mom loves pasta and Italian cuisine, these mini sausage lasagna rolls are a must. With crumbly ricotta cheese, al dente lasagna noodles, shredded mozzarella and sweet Italian sausage, this recipe provides the ideal blend of flavors that melt in your mouth. Serve these with your Mother’s Day brunch as a quick and easy yet irresistible appetizer.
2. Crispy Potato Roast
Easily the most versatile vegetable, potatoes accompany a wide variety of delicious dishes for any time of the day. Try making this crispy potato roast for your Mother’s Day brunch! Pick up some juicy Italian sausage, fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, russet potatoes and the remaining ingredients on this list.
Purchase Premio Sausage for Any Occasion
With fresh, quality sausage to whip up these recipes, Mother’s Day will surely be a success. At Premio Foods, our passion for creating delicious gourmet sausage is unmatched. For over 40 years, we’ve carefully crafted our products from the freshest herbs and finest cheeses for rich and natural flavor.